The deck and layback are complete except for a few strips that have had to be added , and a wee splice on the hull where it was damaged when I scraped it over a ladder.
Saturday, 31 January 2009
Thursday, 29 January 2009
Sunday, 25 January 2009
Tuesday, 20 January 2009
Saturday, 17 January 2009
I've not really done much work on the boat this week, but I found a few scraps of maple and beech lying around the workshop so I glued them to the unfinished bow and stern to finish off the joints.
I had to steam the maple to go round the bend at the bottom of the bow and was really lucky to get it right first time. It's lovely wood to plane too.
Sunday, 11 January 2009
Friday, 2 January 2009
Thursday, 1 January 2009
I de- stapled back to the 4th form, and cut thru the strongback and removed the bow stem. The mdf had warped, and using a trusty piece of string I reckoned the bow was out just over an inch. [this is over a kayak 17'6''..long..some might not notice, but to a trained eye......]
I cut through the bow and planed an inner bevel which I roughed up with a rasp, and reglued it with plenty of glue, after realigning the lot using the laser and a set of guides on the remaining forms.
I bunged the cut off stem back in after hacking it up to fit and banged a few staples in to hold it in place.
I will have to glue on a cheater strip as it is a bit lower on one side, but at least it's true now!
I haven't a clue what caused the twist in the mdf, maybe the transition from a different room.